Welcome to 3rd Quarter!
3rd Quarter ELA:
Novel: Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Writing unit: Research writing for informational text and Prose Constructed Response (PCR) literary analysis
- L 5.2 – I can demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
Reading Literature standards:
R.L 5.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
R.L. 5.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text
R.L.5.4-Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes
R.L. 5.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
R.L. 5.6 Describe how a narrator's or speaker's point of view influences the way events are describes.
R.L. 5.9 Compare and contrast stories in the same genre with the ame theme and topics.
Reading Information Standards:
- R.I. 5.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- R.I. 5.3 Explain the relationship or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a text.
- R.I. 5.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- R.I. 5.9 -Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
3rd Quarter Math:
Topic A: Line Plots of Fraction Measurements
Topic B: Fractions as Division
Topic C: Multiplication of a Whole Number by a Fraction
Topic D: Fraction Expressions as Word Problems
Topic E: Multiplication of a Fraction by a Fraction
Topic F: Multiplication with Fractions and Decimals as Scaling and Word Problems
Topic G: Division of Fractions and Decimal Fractions
Topic F: Interpretation of Numerical Expressions
Please refer to the Downloads section to find Duane Habecker Eureka Math tutorials. These are very helpful if your child had to miss class, or is struggling with a particular lesson.
3rd Quarter Science
Water Cycle and Earth's Systems
3rd Quarter Social Studies
The Mid Atlantic Colonies
The Southern Colonies
Wacky Wednesdays Are Back!
3/3 - Music Day - Wear your favorite band or musician.
3/10 - College Day - Wear your favorite college colors.
3/17 - Green Day - Wear any shade of green.
3/24 - Comfy Day - Wear comfy clothing.
DARE Photograph Scavenger Hunt
All 5th grade DARE students are invited to participate in Officer Riff's photograph scavenger hunt. Please refer to the Downloads section for rules and more information.